Thursday, December 22, 2011

Oh no it is the H word!

Last night and today I finally decided to sign the papers and move from palliative care to hospice care. I know the word hospice scares the heck out of most people. In this case, on this blog, it is not a scary decision. Making this move is not moving me to some building for people to come and watch me die. I am still at home doing what I always do. There has been no medical change to me or my care. Hospice does not mean imminent death. I still have the same 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years diagnosis. I don't want people to run out and worry that something has changed or that I am in any immediate danger. For me this decision was made for extra services provided to me. The nursing visits, and CNA visits, and social work visits will increase and that means more eyes watching my reaction to everything around me. It also provides more support and care for me and my family! It provides better access to medicines and procedures in my house instead of hospital stays. This change is a positive change not a scary one. As of now everything is normal, well Matt normal. I still hate this 10 inches of snow outside my window but that isn't going to change anything I do. Thank you again for reading and/or enjoying this blog. Saying what I need to say when I need to say it has been therapeutic in a way for me. So I guess I'll just finish the way I began reminding everybody this big scary H word is not scary, it's just hospice!

No comments:

Post a Comment